Monday, August 15, 2011

Don't Read This Part

I like watching movies.  I do this almost every Friday night.

I like talking about movies.  I do that regularly as well.

It should come as no surprise, then, that I have decided to blog about movies.

The idea behind this blog is simple.  I want to be able to record my thoughts and impressions of the movies I watch so that I can go back and remember what I thought when I watched a particular film.  I also want anyone who may be interested to be able to look back and remember what I thought.  So, here is what I intend to do.  When I watch a movie, I will create a short post detailing some basic information about the movie and some of my thoughts about its quality and "genuineness."  Nothing fancy or detailed here.  Just short movie reviews from me and a few others I may ask to serve as contributors.

Now, I feel I must explain a few things at the outset:

1)  I am not a formally trained film critic and I probably never will be.  I am just a guy who likes movies and knows what movies I like.  I have been accused of being a "movie snob" and that moniker is probably rather appropriate for me.  The point is, don't take my opinion as anything more than that.  (That's the nice thing about criticizing things--it's an extremely subjective field of endeavor.)

2)  The inclusion of a film on this blog by me or any other contributor should not be considered an endorsement or even a recommendation.  You make your own choices about what you want to watch.  I am simply recording for posterity what I have watched.  For the record, I am fairly particular about the kind of content we allow into our home.  We do utilize a system called ClearPlay that allows us to enjoy films without all of the gratuitous objectionable content.  Purists will take issue with our use of this system, but that's what we do.

3)  This is not just an exercise in vanity.  I have come to realize that films have an incredible power to teach, motivate, enlighten, move, and convince those who watch them about timeless truths and themes.  Some films (I call them "Genuine Movies") can even change your life.  I hope to be able to include many examples of this type of film in the posts to follow.  I feel there is a certain measure of a redeeming quality in that.

So, with no further delay, let's get to the reviews...

No comments:

Post a Comment